Today the Howards came over to bake cookies with us. Well, actually it turned out Tony came over to take a nap on our couch and my husband napped on the floor while the boys napped this afternoon. LeeAnn and I, however, were busy from 10:30am to nearly 5pm baking baking baking.
The beginning: All our baking stuff and Porter’s apron I made.
The boys were great at
making a huge mess helping us:
Our final products: (click on the cookie name to link to the recipe)
and Sugar Cookies
Some things we learned:
- Don’t send the guys to the store for a “quick” item pickup. Especially on the weekend before Christmas. A “quick” run ends up taking an hour and a half.
- Read the directions. Read the directions. Read the directions. This will eliminate the problems of a)adding sugar TWICE to your Sugar Cookie recipe and b) prematurely mixing in the flour to the Peanut Butter Blossom recipe
- Don’t buy cheap chocolate chips. They aren’t as creamy.
- Freeze the Buckeye Balls before dipping. Sitting them outside isn’t nearly as cold.
- Don’t put the marshmallow-y Corn Flake Wreaths on wax paper. It ends up sticking like glue. Maybe try crisco spraying a cookie sheet next time?
- Cake frosting doesn’t harden. Therefore, its not the best choice for cookie frosting.
I am EXHAUSTED. My feet and back kill. My eyes burn. I can feel the sugar coating my teeth. Whew! Who would have thought that baking cookies could be this tiring?
However, I can’t wait to do this again next year!
Yummy! I will be adding Buckeyes to my list of baked goods next year. And kuddos to you for involving the boys – I was no where near brave enough to take on the mess that a 2-year-old in the kitchen could create. Happy holidays!
Looks like a good time! Can i outsource my baking to you?
Looks good! You both did a great job! Baking is exhausting, & all I did was baked 120 of the pre-made cookies from Gordon’s! It was the decorating part w/ the kiddos that was most exhausting to me 🙂 Lydia wanted to make hideous masterpieces, while Isaac was doing a great job of just simple decorating.
Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
I seriously need to catch up on my blogging!! I am sooo embarrassed that I haven’t blogged in like 2 weeks!!! It feels like I’m always working, and when I’m at home, its spending time with Tony and Lukas and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. I wish the hospital would let me blog again, thats where I used to get so much of it done, back in the day.. LOL! I say that as if I’ve been blogging for a long time!! LOL!! Anyways, I’ll be doing a major catch-up here this weekend on pictures and blogs and all. I know there is a way to blog by email, and that would work for me… Hmm.. I’ll have to look into that!! LOL!!! 🙂