[[Today I am thankful for my super smart pre-schooler]]
This afternoon I had conferences with Porter’s teacher. I knew it wasn’t going to be anything “big”… after all, it is just preschool. But, it was nice to have one-on-one time to talk about Porter’s progress. They were assessed with a Kindergarten assessment (I can’t remember what it was called… started with a B I think??) so she told me to take any shortcomings with a grain of salt.
- He knows and can identify all 26 (capital) letters of the alphabet. He can recognize about 1/3 of the lowercase.
- He knows his name, address, all his colors and can count to 16.
- He writes with his right hand. This was interesting as at home he seems to go back and forth.
- He was to draw shapes (an X, square, triangle, circle and diamond). He was able to draw an X and the rest, not so well.
- He did pretty good cutting out shapes (square and circle).
- He’s very sensitive. He is typically the first to let the teacher know when someone is upset or not happy.
- He needs to work on sharing, especially the cars.
- I LOVED seeing his self portrait and name. Its very, very uhm, preschoolish? I love it. I can’t wait to see the progress he makes by the end of the year!
All in all, he has made SO much progress in just 9 short weeks. This summer his writing/coloring/drawing consisted of nothing more than a couple lines of scribbles on a paper. Now he’s attempting to draw THINGS, and writing his name (although very sick-and-circle like). I put a little desk in his room, with a shelf above it and a little desk light. I bought him a drawing pad and Twistables, and he just goes to town drawing things. It is so amazing to watch him blossom so quickly!