1. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year it was to set some “goals” for this year… to get back into shape; to curse less; to yell less and be more patient with my kids.
2. What was the single best thing that happened this past year? I can’t say there is a SINGLE best thing, but its been a good year. Probably our vacations/family trips… to Emerald Isle, Chicago, Silver Lake, Custer, two Girls Weekends and DC. I feel blessed we’ve been able to travel so much and do so much together as a family.
3. What was the single most challenging thing that happened? Probably going back to work with both of my regular sitters unable to care for the boys for a couple months. That was stressful, both emotionally and monetarily.
4. What was an unexpected joy this past year? Camping with family. Okay, this isn’t totally “unexpected” but we did two LONG camping trips and we had a blast both times. The second trip we had rain all but one day, and despite the awful weather, we really had a great time and made some wonderful memories.
5. What was an unexpected obstacle? Dealing with betrayal and hurt dealt from someone I thought was a good friend. Learning to move on and let go, learning to lean on those who have my best interest in mind. Having to walk away from a 14+ year friendship.
6. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? Began taking Master’s classes. Also went on a Mom/Daughter weekend with my mom and sister.
7. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? More patience and money. And time. I’d love more time.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure? Gaining weight. Yelling at my kids.
10. Did anyone close to you give birth? Katie (Adrian Michael) and Jane (Lyla Claire and Jillian Kate)
11. Did anyone close to you die? No, thank God.
12. What states/countries did you visit? North Carolina, Virginia, Washington DC,
13. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
14. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas Eve was at Lori and Don’s house. Christmas Day we stayed home, in our pj’s. Very relaxing day!
15. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned… 29. Ryan and I went out to dinner with the Huffs, as Don and I share the same birthday.
16. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hmmm nope not really.
17. What was the best thing you bought? My 50mm f/1.4. Love it!
18. Whose behavior merited celebration? Porter’s. He has blossomed so much in preschool this year!
19. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Leslie’s. I’d never have expected her to stab me in the back the way she did.
20. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage and bills. Where else would it go?
21. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Christmas Day… seeing the excitement the boys had and how magical the holiday was for them this year.
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? fatter
c) richer or poorer? poorer (how do I keep getting poorer every year!?)
23. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year? As always, being the best mom I can be to my boys. I’ll never be perfect, this I know. But I want to give them the best of me. I don’t always do this, and I’ll forever be working on this.
24. In what way(s) did you grow:
- emotionally? I think I’ve become more in control of my feelings/anger/actions. I’ve learned to let things go and how cliche “not sweat the small stuff.”
- spiritually? I’ve really lacked in this department and hope to grow more in this category this year.
- physically? Zip. Didn’t do squat to grow physically. This must change.
25. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others? Ryan and I grew closer as parents as we tackled some challenges we had with Porter. The parenting class and counseling has been such a wonderful thing for our relationship to help us realize we really are a great team, we really do work well together and we ARE great parents, despite our downfalls and shortcomings.
26. With whom were your most valuable relationships? First and foremost, my husband and kids. Second would be my girlfriends- the best ever, Katie, LeeAnn and Jane.
27. Did you fall in love in 2010? Nope. Already there 🙂
28. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Hate is a strong word. But there is one person I’m severely disappointed and sadded by, and another person who has done things to make me dislike them very much.
29. Who did you miss? Cathy
30. Who was the best new person you met?
Dot! She was (is) a lifesaver. She has opened up my eyes to so many parenting issues and helped me overcome many obstacles (and many more to come).
32. What was your most challenging area of home management? My office, playing defense to the boys and their messes… and tackling dog hair. UGh.
33. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year? Hmm probably games on my iPhone. And Facebook. I’ve been trying to cut back.
34. What was the best way you used your time this past year? Just sitting down and playing with the boys. Doing projects with them. Coloring with them. Building blocks and train tracks.
36. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Yelling and making impulse purchases.
37. What was the best book you read? Hands down, The Parent;s Handbook. But, DANG sadly I AGAIN did not read for fun. Wait! I read Smotherhood. It only took me about 6 months, but it was a good book! I did get 3 new books for Christmas so I’m going to make time to read them.
38. What was your favorite TV program? Real Housewives (any of them), Flipping Out, Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, Millionaire Matchmaker
39. What was your favorite movie of this year? No favorites, I don’t think. I did like these, though. Inception, How to Train Your Dragon, Toy Story 3, Salt, Bounty Hunter and What Happens in Vegas
40. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? LOVE Gerard Butler, Ashton Kutcher, Owen Wilson, Matthew McConaughey
41. What did you want and get? My kitchen remodel finished!
42. What did you want and not get? A full time job
43. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Getting hired into a full time teaching position at Bean.
44. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Smooshed. Because I’m at an ultimate high in the weight department. Must get that under control.
45. What kept you sane? Medication and knowing that “this too shall pass…”
46. What political issue stirred you the most?
47. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. Sometimes you just have to build a bridge and get over it.
48. What song will always remind you of 2010? Hmm…. Christina Perri “Jar of Hearts”… I first heard it on Sirius Radio on tv and instantly loved the tune. Words aren’t too symbolic, but I love her voice.Rihanna/Eminem “Love the Way You Lie”- Eminem reminds me of Girls Weekend in October… we heard it a lot on the radio. And Black Eyed Peas “Boom Boom Pow” reminds me of Zumba!
49. How did you ring in the New Year? The boys and I made Shrinky Dinks, we all ate chicken tenders and rice. Ry and Porter played the Wii while Hudson and I played blocks. We put the boys to bed and then Ryan and I watched a movie and I scrapbooked. BORRRRINNG. Its 11:52 as I type and I don’t even plan on watching the ball drop.
50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Hmm… I can think of a few.
Jason Mraz “Live High”
Taking it easy
Live high, live mighty
Eminem “Not Afraid”
Everybody come take my hand
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just let you know that, you’re not alone
Holla if you feel that you’ve been down the same road